Jump to navigation
Port view of menhaden steamer Elias F. Wilson underway. The vessel is white, with a black stack. To the left of the vessel a red buoy is reflected. The painting is signed "Thompson" in lower right.
Thompson, Ellery, 1899-1986 (Creator)
The Elias F. Wilcox was built in 1923 at the Robert Palmer yard in Noank. On back of painting: "135' 1/2 million fish". The Wilcox Fertilizer Company was a family business that processed menhaden (fish), producing oil and fertilizer. Founder Elias Wilcox and his sons were active in the menhaden fishery as well, with most of the sons serving as captains of menhaden sloops and later steamers. The Wilcox company had several steamers and sloops, some Mystic- or Noank-built. The menhaden industry was of great economic importance to the Mystic area economy, especially in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. Wilcox Fertilizer company was very successful, and remained in business until 1935. Ellery Franklin Thompson was a writer, fisherman and marine painter.
Fishing boatsSteamboatsMenhaden fisheriesElias Wilcox (Steamboat)Wilcox Fertilizer Company
Copyright restrictions applying to use or reproduction of this image are available from Mystic Seaport.
Accession number: 1970.377