Bridge over Farmington River at Avon.
Side view of wooden bridge with log railings and piers over a shallow river bed, with reflection of bridge in water. This bridge on what is now U.S. Route 44 in Avon was built in 1878 for $1,000. Destroyed by flood waters on March 1, 1896, it was replaced the next summer by a steel bridge. Inscribed on back: “Bridge over Farmington River at Avon, later added third pier. Now gone.”