Jump to navigation
View of a large shoreside hotel building. Sailboats can be seen on the water in front of the hotel.
Florence Griswold Museum
Beal, Reynolds, 1866-1951 (Creator)
The subject of this painting, the Fort Griswold Hotel, was one of New London's grand old hotels when New London and its environs were popular summer destinations. Earlier known as the Edgecomb House, it was renovated and renamed Fort Griswold House in 1884. Morton Plant, who built an estate at Avery Point (1904) on the present site of the University of Connecticut Avery Point campus, acquired Fort Griswold House. He had it demolished in 1905 and replaced with a new hotel called The Griswold. The hotel no longer exists. Gift of The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company.
HotelsBoats and boatingGriswold Hotel
To request permission to use or reproduce images of objects from the Florence Griswold Museum's collections, please Contact Museum Rights & Reproductions
Accession number: 2002.1.9