Avon Free Public Library
The Avon Free Public Library can be traced back to 1791 when Rev. Rufus Hawley started collecting money from residents to purchase books for a community library. In 1798, Samuel Bishop, a prominent citizen, began offering library services within his home with a collection of 111 titles. The library is a member of Library Connection, Inc., the cooperative regional automated circulation and online catalog database system, Encore, to which 30 libraries belong. Through this system, over 4 million volumes are available through interlibrary loan, the statewide reciprocal borrowing arrangement which encompasses over 160 libraries. Library cards are issued to town residents with valid identification, are active for 3 years, and can be used in any public library within Connecticut under a statewide program called Connecticard. You may apply for a card at the Circulation Desk. A printable registration form is available online. Our mission is to serve as the center of enrichment for the Avon community providing free and convenient access to information, literature, culture and the arts through a variety of media and technologies.